The migration of obsolete technology to innovative technology such as the analogue train radio to GSM-R is often not conceivable without doubling the equipment for trains or network infrastructure during the transition phase.
A migration strategy allows the railway company to make fact-based decisions about the respective migration costs, considering all national and international safety requirements on the basis of alternative scenarios. The strategy is the basis for the project planning of all of the measures to implement the new technology.
For each migration scenario, quattron prepares a description of the vehicle retrofitting, the infrastructure equipment (especially the traffic controller equipment) and the required network installations.
For migration on GSM-R quattron develops and compares e.g. the strategy alternative, regarding
- Dual mode cab radios as equipment for the trains, enabling them to run on analog radio- and GSM-R-routes.
- Dual mode devices as equipment of dispatcher along defined routes, which allow communication between trains using both the analog radio and the GSM-R equipment.
- retrofitting periods and dependencies.
- Region-oriented retrofitting and sequences
- Costs for involved infrastructure operators versus train operators
- Pragmatic rules for external vehicles (cross-border traffic)
quattron supports the railways in deriving a decision about the overall migration process, starting from the decision preparation, establishing the migration procedure up to the migration settlement.